Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chiaki Kuriyama Double Feature

As I mentioned in my previous post, Gallery 1988's annual Crazy 4 Cult show is taking place at a pop-up gallery in New York this year. The opening is August 9th, from 6-9pm, at 64 Gansevoort St. New York, NY 10014; the show runs till September 1st. The show is all about cult films, so I thought I'd pay tribute to two of my favorites, both of which feature actress Chiaki Kuriyama as a badass schoolgirl: Battle Royale and Kill Bill (one of my favorite movies period):

"Too Cool for School"
Acrylic, gouache, and ink on paper mounted on cradled panel
9" x 12" x 2"

I thought it would be fun to show her characters (Takako Chigusa of Battle Royale and Gogo Yubari of Kill Bill) existing in the same world, ditching school and loitering like shady teenagers. It was also fun to revisit Battle Royale for Crazy 4 Cult 6 (I did a Battle Royale-inspired piece for the first ever Cult show I was in, Crazy 4 Cult 2).
Here are a couple detail shots:



And here are the sketches. I started off with just the two figures and the wall, then I made up some posters and graffiti that referenced their respective movies, all of which I combined in photoshop to create the final sketch. The poster for The 5.6.7.8's was especially fun to design:



If you live in NYC or are visiting in August, please check out the show, especially if you've never experienced a Gallery 1988 event before! It's sure to be crazy and crazy good.

13 comments:

kalonji said...

Love the lines !!This is superb .

Jules said...

Thanks so much!

Jacqueline M. said...

I'll definitely be visiting the show.

Sheela said...

AMAZING work! Classy and extremely cool... I'd really like to see it live :-( kisses from Italy

Irukandji Camel said...

Will this also be available as a print to purchase at some point? I would love to have it on my wall, it's amazing!

Tabitha Bathory said...

Are you going to sell prints of this? It's utterly fantastic and I need it on my wall!

Danielle said...

This is really lovely~ Unfortunately I won't be able to see it, but I'll keep them in mind! just stumbled upon your blog and I really love it!
x


D a n i e l l e | daniellewu.com
ps. I am hosting a giveaway on my blog and I would love it if you won! :) Enter to win artwork by Mui-ko!

Jules said...

Thanks guys! And yes, I was thinking I might make prints of this in the future. Hopefully the original sells first!

Mostafa Afk said...

i like that man i wanna learn from you

Tangerine said...

Really great job

HAZEHELL said...

Julian I'm interested in buying the Original.How could I reach/contact you.

Jules said...

Hi! Actually someone has already bought the original, but I'm probably going to make the piece available as a print eventually, so keep an eye out!

HAZEHELL said...

:( dang, too late. Thanks.