Saturday, June 16, 2012

Heyyyyy, Brother

June 29th is the opening of "There's Always Money in the Banana Stand," Gallery 1988's tribute to Arrested Development and those wacky Bluths.
My favorite character is Buster; every line Tony Hale delivers cracks me up. Here's Buster facing his fear:
 "Out on a Limb"
Acrylic, gouache, and ink on paper mounted on cradled panel
8" x 10" x 1.5"

As you can see, I decided to indulge my more cartoony side. I thought it would be appropriate since everybody on that show is pretty cartoony in the first place.
Here are a couple details shots (click to view larger). I love painting patterns on clothing. I want this shirt in real life:

Argyle socks and kiddie ride detail:

I also painted the sides of the cradled panel in that distinctive orange of the show's title and George Senior's prison jumpsuit. Sorry for the crappy phone picture:

Aaand here's the sketch:

Remember, the opening is June 29th, from 7-10pm at Gallery 1988's Melrose location. If you're a fan of the show or a "buy-curious" art collector, you'll definitely want to check it out!

Update: Here's the official promo for the show with all the info. Thanks to Gallery 1988 for featuring my illustration on the promo!

12 comments:

Jacqueline M. said...

Super great.

Jules said...

Thank you!

Kate said...

Is there any way to purchase the original sketch of this, or a small print? I'm buy-curious but make about as much money as George Michael in that hot booth all summer. Either way it's amazing. I love it.

Samantha said...

Fabulous! I'd definitely be interested if you ever made a print of this. :D

JGask said...

I'd want one, if you ever sold prints!

Blue said...

How long does the show run? Gallery1988's website looks like it hasn't been updated in a while. Thanks!

Jules said...

Thanks so much, you guys!
If the original painting sells I'm definitely open to making this available as a print in the future, so hopefully it sells!
@Blue: It seems Gallery 1988 hasn't made an official announcement yet, but I'm sure they'll make one very soon, so just keep an eye out! I'll also make an update here once they do.

Frankie said...

Hello! I came across your illustration of Buster on tumblr and the image was linked to your blog. I am so glad I came across this picture, I love your work! Do you know which gallery location it will be shown at? (Melrose or Venice) I hope I get to have the pleasure of meeting the artist and hope to see more of your work live. :) -Frankie

Jules said...

Thanks for the kind words, Frankie! The show will be at the Melrose location. Thanks for reminding me...I just updated the post.

b8e77bc2-ba42-11e1-93a9-000bcdcb2996 said...

Love this!!! :)

(crossing my fingers that this sells...bc I too would be interested in buying a print)

-karina

donny said...

absolutely terrific.

Tiffany Israel said...

I so wish there were replication prints of this! There's a lot of great artwork in the exhibit but this one is my favorite! Do you know if they are selling unsigned prints at the gallery, or is everything available online?

Thanks!