Monday, April 23, 2012

Suggestivism

Hey guys! Next month I'm in a show at Bold Hype Gallery in New York called "Suggestivism," which is curated by Nathan Spoor. Seeing as how preview images have already gone up on the Hi-Fructose site (here), I thought I'd finally share my contribution to the show here on the blog:

"Sin-eater"
Acrylic and gouache on paper mounted on cradled panel
11" x 14" x 2"

This piece is loosely based on the practice of sin-eating, whereby an individual (the "sin-eater") would remove the sins of a recently deceased person through ritual consumption of food and drink and take them into himself, allowing the deceased person's soul to rest in peace. In this case, the sin-eater is the stag, who (reluctantly) bears the dead man's injuries as well as the weight of all his troubles.

As I said in my previous post about St. Vincent, this piece is loosely inspired by a St. Vincent song ("Cheerleader"). It's actually inspired more by the themes of the song rather than a literal interpretation of the song...but anyway, it's a gorgeous song!

"Suggestivism" opens May 10th! If you are in New York, be sure to check it out. The line-up is incredible, and I'm extremely honored to be in such great company (special shout-out to my former instructors Nathan Ota and Bob Dob, who are also in the show). And thanks to Nathan Spoor for inviting me to take part!

8 comments:

dalva said...

its beautiful, juuuliaann!

Jules said...

Thanks!!

Cyle said...

Wow, that's a really great piece.

Jules said...

Thanks, Cyle!

Aron said...

Hi Jules! Can I ask what you generally use gouache vs. acrylic for? Are you using acrylic for the washes and gouache for opaques, or something similar? Thanks!

Jules said...

Hi Aron!
Yeah, that's usually how I use them. Sometimes I will even mix some acrylic into the gouache (I use Holbein acryla-gouache) to get the color I want. Sometimes I also mix acrylic inks into the acrylics, or into the gouache. Other times I mix acrylics, acryla-gouache, and acrylic inks together if I want a lot of a certain color but I don't want to use up any one tube of paint. Hopefully that makes sense...
But yeah! For the most part I use a mixture consisting of mostly gouache for flat, opaque colors, and for washes I use acrylics, sometimes mixed with inks.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

Aron said...

Thank you! Yeah, the atmospheric quality and the graphic shapes in this piece are both wonderful.

Jules said...

Thanks!