Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wild MOLTRES appeared!

Can't escape!

April 20th is the opening of Pokémon Battle Royale at Light Grey Art Lab in Minneapolis! The show pairs 151 artists with one of the original 151 pokémon. The artists are putting their own twists on their pokémon, and each piece is going to be sold as an 8" x 8" print at the show. There are a lot of really incredible artists involved whose work I admire a lot, so I am very excited to be a part of the show. Plus, I was OBSESSED with Pokémon as a kid.
Anyway, here's my piece. I was paired up with Moltres!


"Wild MOLTRES appeared!"
Ink, acrylic, and gouache on paper
10" x 10"

Here's my sketch:


Uhh, I think I got kind of got carried away with the colors. In my head it was much more duochromatic, but I ended up using all the colors of the rainbow. I'm used to a relatively more restrained color palette, so it looks kind of crazy to me. Oh well, I hope you enjoy it anyway! It was a lot of fun to work on.

Ohhh, also, I hid three pokémon in the illustration. They're pretty easy to find, though. Can you spot them?

PS: Light Grey Art Lab has set up a kickstarter so you can help support the gallery and their creative community. Please consider helping out if you wanna see more shows like this one!

6 comments:

Marisa Seguin said...

Looks awesome—and I love the hidden Pokémon! Can't wait to see it at the show.

Jules said...

Thanks Marisa! Can't wait to see your Porygon piece!

PM said...

It looks really cool!, even if moltres wasn't my fav as a kid

and I have been looking at the screen like 15 minutes by now, and I think I found 2 of the three, may I say oddish and parasect?

Jules said...

Thanks!
And yeah! Paras is also there (right next to Parasect).

Andro said...

I must be blind, because the only Pokemon I see is Moltres...o_O where the heck are those 3 pokemon located at? they must be camouflouged or something.

Jules said...

Haha, yeah they're hiding.

Paras and Parasect are those mushrooms above Red's hat and Oddish is hidden in the bushes in the bottom right corner.