Friday, February 17, 2012

Bits in Multiples of 8

Hi guys! Here's my final submission to Jimmy Giegerich's video game fan art zine, Bits in Multiples of 8. It's a mash-up of two of my favorite video game worlds, The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario. Check out my previous post for the sketch and other info.


"Mushroom Kingdom Syndrome"
Pen and ink on paper
8.5" x 13"

The interior of the zine is going to be in black & white, so I thought I'd do a black & white drawing/painting, which I hadn't done in a while. It was a fun experiment to see if I could get the effect of the shadows of the unseen trees above blanketing the entire scene. Hopefully it reads that way!
I also scanned my pen drawing before I started the ink washes in case I ever had the time and wanted to go back and do a digitally-colored version:



I have such a fondness for these games, so this was a really fun piece to work on. It was actually done for a call-for-entries for the zine, so hopefully it makes it in. Either way, I'll make another post when the zine comes out!

5 comments:

J. Mendiola said...

Looks great! What did you use to ink the line work?

Jules said...

Thanks! I used Micron pens for the linework and India ink for the washes.

twchrist said...

This looks amazing! I love the Zelda tribute.

Jules said...

Thanks Taylor!

miser said...

You should make a colored version and make prints n-n