Wednesday, November 24, 2010

28 Drinks Later...

Why hello there. I've got another illustration for my "LA-LA Land" column in the next issue of LA Weekly (out this Thursday).
[EDIT: Whoops! Apparently I'm not in this week's issue after all. I'll let you know when it IS out.]

You know the drill:



1. A lady hawking counterfeit wares...fake designer bags, watches, jewelry, etc.
2. A bunch of drunk club-goers out on the streets after a night of partying, ravenous for some street food. I wanted their "attack" on the taco truck to look like a scene out of a zombie movie.
3. In honor of Thanksgiving, this idea was supposed to feature a cornucopia of sorts of an eclectic assortment of food. But in this case, cornucopia = garbage can and feast = discarded fast food.

Anyway, the second idea was chosen, duh. The other ideas were admittedly kinda lame? I really wanted to do the zombie/drunks thing. AND I DID:



Final:


"Night of the Living Drunks"
Ink, acrylic, and gouache on paper
12.75" x 7.75"
[ADs: Jason Jones and Darrick Rainey... Thanks guys!]

Hope you like it! I had a lot of fun making it. It should be in the next issue, so pick one up when you get the chance. OH, and have a very happy Thanksgiving while you're at it!

11 comments:

Danielle Buerli said...

amazing amazing. julian you are amazing

J. A. W. Cooper said...

LOVE IT!

twchrist said...

This is really good! Very clean!

Jules said...

Thanks guys!

Alessandro Echevarria said...

wow, this is honestly so good.

MJC *-* said...

Wonderfull illustration. I love the way you painted the sweat underneath the arm of the guy on the front.
Also the guy with the 'hat' on, brilliant.

Jules said...

Haha, thanks!

sarah 'sae' soh said...

and thats the color my face gets when i drink!

on par, julian! on par!
and its freakin fantastic!

Jules said...

Me too, Sarah! Me tooooo.

And thanks!

Lauren Gardiner said...

I love your choices of colour!

valverde said...

your artwork is just amazing!!! :D