Friday, October 8, 2010

LA Weekly's Best of LA 2010

Hi, all! I've got four spot illustrations in this week's LA Weekly, which happens to be a super-sized "Best of LA" edition.
The issue gives tips on the best things to do and best places to see in LA, while shedding light on the history behind those places. Each section is inspired by one or two decades; the sections I worked on were "Places" (1930s and 40s) and "Shopping & Services" (50s).

First up...sketches:
Shopping (50s):


Services (50s):


Places (30s & 40s):


And here are the finished spots, in the order they appear in the issue:









Art direction by Darrick Rainey.
The issue is out, so grab a copy and check out the amazing art by the other illustrators who worked on it as well!

10 comments:

c.w. moss said...

MY GOOD MAN, THESE LOOK INCREDIBLE.

dalva said...

julian, these are amazing! i love the shiny floor reflection and the barber's super 50s face especially

Jules said...

Aw, thanks guys!

lostsailors said...

Gah! So, so, so cute! I love the thumbnails too. I wish it still felt/looked like this in Los Angeles!

Jules said...

Thanks!

Renrut said...

Julian! I love the purple hair all of the guy's smock! It totally brought a smile to my face!

Jules said...

Yay, I'm glad! :D

Sunny said...

These are super nice illustrations! I like all of them!:)

Y∆NNA said...

lo lo lovely!

jazzlamb said...

Wow! The pieces look so good! Really nice!