Thursday, March 4, 2010

More like "Flaw-Flaw Land," am I right? (Sorry)

Here's a new illustration for my column LA-LA Land in this week's LA Weekly (out now!). First, sketches:



My first idea was to poke fun at the crazy plastic surgery/botox trend you see all over LA. This woman is trying to look majestic and beautiful when all she really does is look creepy. I also wanted to include marks around the page to make it look like I'd be going to perform a little nip/tuck on the illustration itself.
The second idea was to do an illustration that looked like one of those old "Let's all go to the lobby" ads from the movie theater, but this would feature LA street food like the bacon-wrapped hot dog, elote/corn on the cob, and some alcohol wrapped in a brown paper bag.



So Jason, the assistant art director, chose the first idea and pointed out that she kind of looked like a Disney princess with the bird unraveling her face, so I tried to push the princess/majestic thing. He also suggested adding another bird and a simple background of clouds just to add another layer to the drawing. So I came up with this.



"Nip/Tuck"
Ink, acrylic, and gouache on paper
12.5" x 7.5"
[ADs: Jason Jones and Darrick Rainey]

I really wanted to contrast her gracious and regal pose and the elegant flow of the bandages and birds with some creepy lighting, to make her look more like the Bride of Frankenstein. And this was totally unintentional on my part, but Jason noted that the clouds looked like visceral matter. How appropriate!

You can pick up the issue today. And be sure to take an admiring glance at the cover because it was done by none other than Ms. Jessica Cooper. Yay!

7 comments:

Romina said...

wow This is amazing! I love the line ideas as if you were to reconstruct your illustration.is this done on your usual medium or computer? I love it.

J. A. W. Cooper said...

ROCKSTARRRRR! I love this, and you got the creepy business suuuper down!

andrewlong said...

Does anyone else find it ironic that we are now turning to artists, who normally find the beauty in everything, to show us the ugliness of LA? (of course the illustrations themselves are beautiful!)

This piece is great with the "bride of frankenstein" connection.

Rafa Toro said...

Julian, eres maravilloso!!!

Jules said...

Thanks so much, everyone!

Romina: It's done traditionally!

mylan said...

fucking fabulous!

jazzlamb said...

Ouch! The painting looks beyond awesome! I love the flowy linework always! And the cutout lines on the illustration itself make the meaning much deeper. Amazing!