Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Devil Made Me Do It

Here's my piece for "The Devil Made Me Do It," a show at WWA Gallery in Culver City.



Detail:



"Mine"
Ink and acrylic on paper mounted on wood
18" x 24"

Since the theme of the show is pretty dark, I went dark as well, stylistically and thematically. The piece depicts the consequences of one man's greed and envy. (It's kind of hard to notice at first, but in the dead man's hand is a diamond).
I've always wanted to do a piece with coal miners and canaries. For those who don't know, canaries were used by coal miners as a sort of early detection system for harmful gases...it's not just some weird desire of mine to arbitrarily combine the two! Anyway, I like the juxtaposition of something as delicate and beautiful as a canary with something so rugged and worn-down as a miner.

The show opens Friday, February 12th and the reception is from 7-10pm. Hope you can make it!

8 comments:

lostsailors said...

That is truly beautiful, I love how the canaries escaping are almost like the one miner's soul leaving. A nice folk-song-like title too!

J. A. W. Cooper said...

This is exceptional! I'm loving ALL your new work Jules, so sort of space-conscious if that makes any sense. It really takes advantage of your amazing linework.

Danielle B├╝rli said...

I really love this! For some strange reason is reminds me of the one episode or carnivale...

Jules said...

Thanks so much, guys!

Sunny said...

Congratulations, this piece looks fantastic in person~!:)

Jules said...

Thanks Sunny!

Mia said...

This is a beautiful piece, and I love the concept. Great work!

Jules said...

Thanks Mia!