Monday, November 9, 2009

Blah-Blah Land

Below is the latest illustration for my "LA-LA Land" column in the upcoming issue of LA Weekly. But first...sketches:


The first idea was chosen again...it's odd that it always seems to work that way. Anyway, just in case anyone was wondering, the second idea was a commuter tangled up in a map of bus lines, the third is a group of actors in costume waiting for the bus to Hollywood, and the last is a pigeon in a mandala of an international selection of food.


This is the final sketch for the chosen idea: a bunch of Angelenos who are slaves to technology. Everybody's constantly in contact with someone but, you know...not. Simple.

And here's the final piece (cropped):



"Contact"
Ink and acrylic on paper
13" x 9"
[ADs: Jason Jones and Darrick Rainey]

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. It was nice to really limit my color palette this time around. This illustration should be appearing in the issue coming out Thursday, so pick one up if you can!

8 comments:

Dustin d'Arnault said...

Pretty dope man!

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Fantastic as always man! I love the limited palette!

Thomas Lynch III said...

gonna cop me a copy this time around. and is that dalva in the upper left? she's been getting put in everyone's paintings lately.

Jules said...

Thanks guys!

Haha Thomas. I guess she does look Dalva-ish...I hope she doesn't start charging us for unintentionally being our muse.

Veronica said...

This is amazing!

mylan said...

beautiful boo! i think the girl with the heart sweater reminds me of your sister <3

Skulldaggery said...

this looks pretty great.
I like the actors one a lot too.

LOUD-TREE said...

http://loud-tree.blogspot.com/

Add me to your list of artists, JULE-MAN!